Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Signing legal documents in the cloud

Did you know that you could sign documents without killing trees?

I found this out when I had a W-4 document to sign for a new job. I got the form in an email and was requested to print, sign and fax the form back to them. I don't have a printer and Kinko's was out of the way. But with a little research, I found an alternative.

Check the laws in your country, but here in the US, it's legal under an act of congress on June 30th, 2000. Yup! And we even have "National ESIGN Day" to celebrate it.

There are many ways to do it, but you basically just import the document into a drawing/painting/photo editing app, sign it with your mouse/touchscreen/trackpad, and then email it back to the concerned party. I used a mish-mash of apps on my iPad, android phone, and in the cloud to accomplish this. Here's a hand howto if you can't figure it out for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment