Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A girlfriend in the cloud?

Cloud Girlfriend. What?

Yes. I have a girlfriend in the cloud. What does it mean? I don't know yet, but I'm beta testing one.

I signed up for the open beta of Cloud Girlfriend (with the permission of my real girlfriend. Thank you  A., for putting up with this. It is all for science). I got accepted a week after the request, and now I'm in.

Here's my experience:

I was asked for a gender and gender preference. Then I had to choose a 'fantasy' first and last name (I chose Aristotle Danger) and a fake image. I couldn't upload my own image, but I could choose among a pool of relatively good looking men. So I picked one that sorta looked like me but bit sexier.

Next I was asked chose from a list of five binary choices of who I was (Don Juan or Don Quixote was one. Tough choice, but and I chose Quixote) and another 5 binary choices of what I was looking for in a (choose one) male or female. Lastly, a short fantasy bio for me and a short text of what I was looking for.

I was then told I to request a 'date.' I flipped through images of women (two of them were repeat images) with 1 line bios. I requested 4 dates rapid fire. A girl ("Karen Robertson") accepted my 'date' request (apparently "Tits McGee" was unavailable), and we went into a chat that reminded me of the way the iPhone does text messaging with bubbles. We chatted for a minute. The fake person was flirty and nice. I left the chat.

So far as I can tell, it is like Chatroulette, but the person on the other end is hired to be nice to you. Sort of a curated chat.

Overall it wasn't a bad experience. Will I do it again? No. Is it a worthwhile service? Um. I can think of a few (unusual?) scenarios where you might want to fake that you have a girlfriend, but it doesn't look like it does that. It's just a chat room. You can find one anywhere online if you want.

1 comment: